Monday, May 11, 2009




Vinyl Record Album Journals by Sandi Bates – Eyesore Designs


1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

Everything. I love knowing my stuff is up there for people to see - buy - love, I love being apart of a community with so many talented artists. I LOVE that's it's a place we can all go to buy handmade stuff. It's just so neat.


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?
Eyesore Designs - I really have no idea...I came up with it 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. It was just one of those things that came to me...I find people either love it or hate it. When I say the name, it makes me smile.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

My kids are my inspiration, them, my husband and life in general. I have a drive to do something, to be someone important and it's all a part of my inspiration. And it helps that I really love what I make (I am saying love a lot)


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I have no back ground - other then the fact that I have crafted as long as I can remember - I used to have a craft box at my Aunt's house - I was 5 - odds and ends. I would build and create for hours. I am the baby of the family - by 5 years...explains a lot.


5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

With my vinyl stuff, my creative process has a lot to do with what I have on hand or what I can get my hands on - it's a pretty straight forward process - I don't get to be too creative in these steps. But when I create other pieces - mainly necklaces, I always do that when I am having a rough or bad day - I leave my kids with Daddy - go to my craft table - crank some Coldplay - close the blinds - and just pick part pieces. I just close myself out from everything. I enjoy coming back down the following day and just starring at what I created the night before - it's very surreal for me.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Well 1st off is getting ready for the Spring Handmade Market and taking part. I am also in the middle of trying to get another business off the ground - I am trying to open a store - separate from my Etsy stuff - I am excited about it. So I will be meeting with some advisers to try to get things rolling! Wish me luck!!!!!!

Visit Sandi at her Etsy shop or on the Etsy Ontario Team blog

2 comments:

  1. Thanks - I am going to have a few goodies at the show - even a Smashing Pumpkins notebook :)

    ReplyDelete