Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vintage Paper Parade




Debra Norton – Vintage Paper Parade


1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

Etsy provided me with the opportunity to try my hand at selling my designs to a wider audience. I love the community aspect of Etsy. That’s why I decided to organize this Market. I really wanted to connect with other local Etsy shops and provide a venue for Toronto residents to buy local, handmade items and get to know the great design talent that exists locally.


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

I love vintage books and paper ephemera. I started designing invitations for children’s events and thought that Vintage Paper Parade had a happy celebratory sound to it, reminiscent of the vintage children’s books that I collect.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

I am inspired by and drawn to the fresh, colourful illustrations I see in vintage children’s books and old greeting cards. I love vintage illustrations but also admire clean modern design. I suppose I try to combine the two.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I have been crafting and creating for as long as I can remember. My parents are both very artistic. I remember sitting patiently as my Dad instructed me on painting in oil as a young child and watching my mother as she painted ceramics. I’ve been designing and creating cards for friends and family for years and decided it was time to put the “do what you love” mantra to work.

5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.
I try to spend a few moments every day brainstorming ideas for new designs. I’m often inspired by the books I read with my children or via a story they tell me. I keep a journal and record my ideas there. I sketch out my designs on paper and scan them into my Mac where I colour the images digitally. I like the saturated colour I achieve using this process.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Well, after I wrap up A Spring Handmade Market, I will be participating as a vendor in The Children’s Trunk Show in the Distillery District on May 29th. I hope to spend a few weekends this summer roaming antique markets looking for vintage treasures and hanging out with my kids. I’m participating in Hoopla, another great children’s market, in October. One other thing on my list to do this year is to learn the craft of letterpress. I have taken an introductory course and would love to learn more. If only I could get my hands on a vintage press…

Visit me at A Spring Handmade Market on May 16th or at my Etsy shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment