Monday, May 4, 2009

Mr. Sköna



Upcycled textiles + Scandinavian design = Stylish Mens Accessories from Reva Quam of Mr. Sköna



1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

I really like being part of a community of makers. As well, it's great to be in such a trusted marketplace with such devoted and supportive customers.

2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

Well, a little randomly to be honest. When I was setting up my blog, I was trying to find the right name. The word ’sköna’ came to me in a dream. I had no idea what it meant or where it came from but it resonated with me for some reason. I googled it and discovered that it means ‘beautiful’ in Swedish. It was the perfect fit for my blog since it references my Scandinavian heritage and the fact that I try to live a beautiful life.
Originally, I had a different name in mind for my line of men’s accessories. My boyfriend one day suggested Mr. Sköna instead and it was the same experience of it feeling right so I abandoned my first plan.

3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?
I am inspired by nature, Scandinavian design and traditional menswear textiles. I am also inspired my boyfriend who was the impetus behind starting Mr. Sköna. He couldn't find a wallet he liked so I offered to make him one and it took off from there.

4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I have always made things. Growing up, there was lots of art supplies around my house and more often than not, I was crafting things or drawing pictures of clothes. In high school, I got into theatre and wanted to be a set designer. At UBC, I discovered I was not that spatially inclined so I focused on costume design instead. I have been designing costumes for film, theatre and dance for the last 7 years.


5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

It often starts with a request from my boyfriend. He will need something and I will try to design something practical and beautiful. As I use a minimum of 90% upcycled materials, an idea for a product sometimes starts with finding an interesting material and then figuring out what it should be. There is a lot of trial and error in creating a new product, as I can't go usually go to the store and by exactly what I need. I often have to come with solution based on what I can find at thrift stores, rummage sales, etc.

6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

I will be doing more shows and hopefully doing on holiday this summer.
Check out my blog, www.skonalife.blogspot.com for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment