Saturday, May 9, 2009

Jesse Truong - All Things Small



Introducing Jesse Truong of All Things Small

1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?


What I love about Etsy is that it allows me to share my creations with people all around the world and being part of an amazing bunch of creative people. Having an online shop has made my life much more enjoyable that I have an outlet that allows me to work from home on my own time.


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

Ever since I was little I loved all things small and toys that I could fit in my pocket and carry around with me on all of my adventures. Knowing that I had someone right there with me made it all better. I had a friend through thick and thin. Even to this day, I always have a little friend in my bag or pocket.

3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?
Standing on top of a mountain over looking a sea of green rice fields in Indonesia or swimming with colourful fish in turquoise oceans in Thailand or riding a bike in a very small town with friendly smiles in Vietnam. A lot of my inspirations come from my travels. My husband and I backpacked through Asia for about 8 months experiencing new places, new tastes and new colours; we are both itching to return to a much simpler way of life.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I graduated from the Ontario College of Art and Design in Design/Illustration and Printmaking. I stumbled upon a book binding class that allowed me to combine my love for children’s illustration and printmaking into stories and I started a small press called Silly Sasprilly. After working for an advertising company as their in-house illustrator I realize that even though I was working in a creative environment, that it wasn’t satisfying. Eventually, I was able to work at home doing what I loved.


5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

A lot of my creative process comes from the world around me especially now with two little ones they seem to spark a new creative juice, I love to watch them discover new things and see through their eyes.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

After my second child was born early this year my plan for the rest of the year is to catch up on some much needed rest, wishful thinking! As for my Etsy shop I’m working on illustrations and tiny books and I’m also thinking to get started on a blog to share my process, adventures and inspirations.


Visit Jesse at A Spring Handmade Market on May 16th or on Etsy at All Things Small

No comments:

Post a Comment