Tuesday, May 5, 2009




Introducing Emily Jull – Nesting Emily


1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?
Meeting new people for sure! I love getting to know other artists and craft fans. I have developed some real friendships and loving being part of the large craft movement. Selling something to someone who loves it doesn't suck either : )


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?
I love and collect fallen nests. I think nothing is more natural, organic and perfect than a nest. I also love that we humans refer to our homes as nests and the desire to put love and time into our home as nesting. I am a big nester and thus my name.... making organic, one of a kind things to put love into folks homes.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?
Nature is the big one, but I am also inspired by the most random things. My eyes are always searching for a line, colour, texture to take joy in.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?
I have been crafting since I was a little kid. I think most of us have.... the difference with crafters and artists is we don't give it up or we find it again. My first memory is my mother weaving. I was raised around a lot of art and craft. I have done embroidery, batik, beading, silversmithing, felting, painting, tie-dye, sewing, photography, graphic design, knitting, spinning and on.... I love them all. When I first did pottery though, at 17 in high school, I knew it was the one! I have potted off and on for years. Took a bunch of classes and eventually did an apprenticeship with a local potter. Now I am left to my own devices, playing- just like I was a kid again.


5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.
I generally throw on the potter’s wheel and while I know what I am going to make when I sit down I am also open to the clay dictating some of the beautiful organic lines that clay does so well. I consider it a partnership (hokey but true). Music is very important to my process too. It helps me set the mood for the day and the pots.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?
My big goal is to do some shows in Toronto. Thank you very much for helping that happen!! I also want to keep following my muse to make new things for nests : )

You can find Nesting Emily on Etsy at www.nestingemily.etsy.com
and on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment