Saturday, May 2, 2009

Heather Dadswell - Little Ra's



Vintage inspired fashions for little girls by Heather Dadswell, Little Ra's


1. What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

I really love connecting with all of the interesting artists and people on Etsy. It's such a great community and has such an amazing creative vibe that I just feel lucky to be a part of. I also love being able to get my items out "there", it makes them more real somehow.


2. How did you come up with your shop name? Little Ra's comes from a few different inspirations in my life, a fascination with all fun things under the sun (Ra is an Egyptian Sun God) and two very special little ladies (one of whom is mine) whose names finish with "ra".

3. What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?
What isn't! Mostly my children, but I generally pick up inspiration here there and everywhere.

4. Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I've always had a taste for creative things, but never really settled on anything. Crochet, needle work, drawing, just making things, any things with any materials. I had always bought second hand clothes and altered them for myself but never really made anything from scratch, well, a disastrous yellow dress once but I would like to forget about that. About a year ago I started sewing for my daughter and some friends and I've been passionately at it ever since.


5. Tell me a bit about your creative process.

I'm generally a pattern free kinda gal. I see a fabric and think of how it would look as a dress. Sometimes by the time I get it home the idea has changed a few times. I lay the fabric out as big and wide as possible, take out every scrap of anything that can be spread all over the place for the most mess possible, cut, sew, tinker, all while muttering "I loves it, I loves it" more and more as it all comes together. I'm sort of a Tasmanian Devil creator.


6. What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Keep going! Keep moving! Keep doing more! I would really like to beef up my Etsy Shop and promote a lot more than I have been. I hope to do more shows and continue to create new and interesting items. I would really like to stop neglecting boys and make some items for them.

Visit Heather at A Spring Handmade Market on May 16th and on Etsy - Little Ra's

No comments:

Post a Comment