Friday, May 15, 2009

Danielle Wright - Stitchface





















Eco-friendly plush animal friends by Danielle Wright -
Stitchface


1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

There are sooo many things I love about having an Etsy shop that it's painful to just choose one!!! If I have to choose, I'd say that connecting with so many wonderful and crafty people from all over the world is the best. The people who buy and sell on the site are so friendly and helpful and it's such a wonderful community to be a part of.


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

My shop is named after my favorite part of the process of making my plush animals. Stitching on their faces is part that makes me giggle to myself because that's where each animal really gets their own unique personality.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

I'm inspired by all things cute- I'm a huge kwaii fan and I also really love North American folk art. I'm also inspired by each piece of fabric I find and try to bring out the personality hiding within it when I sew.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I'm a mostly self-taught crafter. I've taken classes in drawing and jewelry making, but I learned to sew on my own. Sewing and I fell madly in love and hopefully will be together a long time.

5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

I make all of my pieces with an aim to make them cute and eco friendly. I like that my work makes you feel good not only because they are sweet to look at but because they are kind to the earth too. I make all my creations with second hand fabrics, thrift store finds and recycled materials. I also love making things from thrift store finds because each piece ends up being unique; because I'm limited in the amount of fabric I have, I can only make so many of each item. There are so many mass produced things out there so I feel really good that each of my items is different and one of a kind.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Hmmmm... I have no grand schemes planned yet. I'd really like to buy a new bike for summer Toronto exploring. I'm new to Toronto and am so excit
ed for the show to meet the crafty people of my new city and hope to be involved in many more!

Visit Danielle at
A Spring Handmade Market on Saturday May 16th or at her Etsy shop - Stitchface

4 comments:

  1. I think Danielle's little critters are so adorable. I chuckle everytime I visit her shop! _\00/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a GREAT time at the show yesterday Dabra!! Hope to do it again next year, if not sooner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little animals! so adorable. I love the unique look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. North American Folk art is so awesome! you can do so many different things whether its with paint, paper, fabric, or whatever else. This little guy is so cute! So unique and special.

    http://www.johnhburrow.com

    ReplyDelete