Friday, May 1, 2009

Apfelstrudel



Introducing the nostalgic whimsy of Apfelstrudel


1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

It’s always a thrill having my artwork appreciated and bought by people from faraway places like Australia and Scotland.


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

I am a German translator by day and an artist by night. Or is it the other way around? At any rate, I was looking for a German name for the shop, and happen to like Apfelstrudel as well. Even though it’s German, I think it’s a word many people are familiar with. My husband and I jokingly call ourselves the von Strudels.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

I draw much inspiration from music I listen to, from my travels, and from the most random conversations I hear.

4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I was a ballet dancer for 12 years, so I guess you could say that’s my artist background. I’ve also dabbled in watercolour for many years. I got attracted to its transluscent quality. It’s also a very unforgiving medium, so it teaches me to be satisfied with the end result, or somehow work with it. To this day, I use some watercolour in practically all my art. As for mixed media and collage, I first started about three years ago, after going to the One of a Kind Show. Someone was giving a demo on how to heat emboss. I stood there like a little kid, watching her, mesmerized. It reminded me of the alphabet rubber stamp set my dad gave me when I was in Kindergarten. That then became my favorite toy for many years. At the One of a Kind Show, I then bought some rubber stamps (I won’t say how many), some embossing powder, and Apfelstrudel was born.

5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

I take notes on my BlackBerry or take photos with it so I can remember ideas or bad puns that pop up in my head. Most of my art reflects my off-the-wall sense of humour or my love for puns.
As for when I’m actually about to do some artwork, I turn to my notebook and pick an idea I’d written down or I sift through my “magic box”. The latter sounds exciting, but it really is nothing more than a box full of bits and pieces of antique images, paper, torn maps, buttons, pebbles, half a postcard, etc., or as they might say in Germany, “Krimskrams”! Whatever I do, however, I will use as many recycled materials as possible. Torn maps are a favorite, but so are antique book covers or pages from books people discard.

6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?
My art reflects my passion, so I will go wherever my passion takes me.

Visit Apfelstrudel at A Spring Handmade Market on May 16th at The Gladstone Hotel and on Etsy at apfelstrudel.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment