Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tracy East - Anvil Art Shop














Beautifully handcrafted leather goods by Tracy East - Anvil Art Shop


1. What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?


I really enjoy the global community that comes hand-in-hand with having an Etsy shop! From seeing my work packaged up and jetting off overseas, to interacting with other artisans in other mediums, from coast to coast. You just can't get that anywhere else.

2. How did you come up with your shop name?

My shop name came from a search for a suitable name beginning with A... and Aardvark was already taken, LOL! My custom clothing company (Abbey Hill Design) has a letter "A" logo and quite frankly, I wanted to be able to use it on more than just my clothing designs. To me, "Anvil" conjures up images of honest, handcrafted work -- exactly the image I wanted for my accessories line.


3. What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?


I'm inspired at times by my medium -- leather is such an amazing, versatile thing -- and at times by graphic shapes. It's amazing, you can create so much from a line, an arc, or a circle.


4. Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?


I have a degree in Apparel Design, from FIT in New York -- I'm not telling how many years ago, gulp! -- and I've been in business ever since. Leather is a relatively new medium for me, as I've been working with it for only three to four years, but I can see it being a part of my repertoire for a while to come. I'm also beginning to incorporate both vintage jewelry as well as my own metal-smithing into my designs, and I'm very excited about that.


5. Tell me a bit about your creative process.


My creative process can be fairly fluid -- all my clients know that the sketches at the beginning of a project may only be the basis for the finished piece -- and I need the room and ability within the medium to change and go in a different direction, if need be. When that internal voice says, "It's done," then I stop.


6. What are your plans for the rest of the year?


Plans for the rest of the year include the Unionville Village Festival, and the Muskoka Arts and Crafts Show. I'm also working on my own website, but I need to create a few more hours in the day first!

You can visit Tracy at her blog Anvil Art Shop
or at her Etsy shop

2 comments:

  1. I am planning on visiting A Handmade Market specifically to see Tracy East and her Anvil Art Shop accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darlene! Looking forward to seeing you there, and meeting all of these talented Toronto Etsians at the show. :)

    ReplyDelete