Monday, April 27, 2009

Sara Torrie - Sartoria



Eco-linen and Fair Trade designs
by Sara Torrie – Sartoria


1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

What Google is in the world of search engines, Etsy is in the world of
craft shops + + +

2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

I had a love affair with a boy of Italian heritage and during that time I
looked up my name in an Italian dictionary and found something pretty close ... super eerie since sartoria means 'tailor's shop' and I’m a Seamstress. it all went down around the same time I set up my Etsy shop, so it was kind of obvious

3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

I think everyone is drawn to certain mediums and uses a similar medium
repeatedly to express with....for me it's material made from plant fibers and/or animal hair, which is an extension of my intense gravitation towards this earth organism. this spring what's getting me is the fact that every single leaf that is starting to poke out and become itself has never been before...this is it for this leaf; this is its go at life. and then I realize every single piece of food I eat is like this also. I’m not feasting my eyes and my tongue on a mass-produced original rip off, it is all one of a kind. I make things that follow similar patterns but all turn out different ...and I haven't always articulated it like this, but that's what I’m saying this time round the sun.

4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an Artist/designer/crafter?
After university I floated and spent some magical time in forests and
ocean, met a bear and cut my hair. I thought I might go to school again, for something artsy, but that's not what happened. I think what I did instead what pay close attention to my friends that did and learn stuff about process and themes and playing with a medium.

5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

My friend Betty White, who is a brilliant painter, told me this winter
that artists typically have very little foresight. this was the moment I really knew what I am. but I don't know how to tell you what my process is (yet).

6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Ideally the Ontario government will bestow their blessings and I’ll start the
OSEB course in may. inshallah I will write a plan, get some tools and rock it in a way that makes rent easy. I will continue to sell linen wares and dandelion root cappuccinos at the Wychwood Farmer's Market every Saturday morning. I will also be at the Cabbagetown Arts and Crafts sale in September, and the mighty One-of-a-Kind in December.

Visit Sartoria on Etsy at www.sartoria.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment