Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lee Meszaros

It's hard to pick just one! Introducing the lovely silk-screened, hand-painted, and hand-embroidered Merit badges of Lee Meszaros...

1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?

I love having an Etsy shop because of the instant community it feels like I'm a part of. That I can connect with artists and creators all over the world through my work on Etsy is really special, and many great opportunities for me have come from it.

2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

My shop name is my actual name, so sadly that answer isn't so exciting.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

I'm inspired by my life experiences, lovely friends, sweet strangers, good music, flea markets filled with forgotten gems, and my daydreams.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I've been sewing since I was around 15, and after high school and a misguided year in University I went to Sheridan College where I studied Textiles in their Crafts and Design program. After I finished that program I finished up my BFA at NSCAD in Halifax. I've been trying my hand at the craft business for a little over a year now, working full time on my merit badges.


5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process

I keep a notebook on my all the time to write down sayings that would be good for new badges my friends and family think of, or ones that I overhear in conversations. After that I think of suitable images for my favorite gathered sayings, and I start developing new badges. I do the new ideas in smaller batches every few months to keep the process fresh (I bore really easily). After that it's a matter of creating the silk-screens, printing/painting/embroidering the badge fronts, and then stitching them together.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

The rest of this year I'm going to be doing quite a few shows in Ontario, and in September I have plans to travel to Seattle for a show. I'm going to continue building the group of amazing retailers I work with, and also my online presence with a website that will hopefully happen before 2010.


Visit Lee Meszaros at her Etsy shop

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I've seen your badges on Etsy. Can't wait to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete