Wednesday, April 29, 2009





















Handmade fashion & accessories for Blythe Dolls from Karen Tiveron of
Karen's Creations

1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop? When someone purchases something from my shop, it's a good feeling knowing that your work is appreciated and wanted.

2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

For my shop name, I wanted something simple, but I also have a thing for alliteration.


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

I'm inspired by interesting and unique fabrics, which is why I recently started hand-decorating my own material. Usually, I find the fabric first and am then inspired to make something with it.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?
I only became seriously involved with arts and crafts about 3 years ago, but have always enjoyed sewing, painting, drawing and photography. I went to a high school for the arts, but with university and grad school I became so focused on my career that I forgot about paying attention to life-work balance. I eventually realized that I needed a hobby, so I dusted off my sewing machine, took some sewing classes and other crafting workshops, and opened my Etsy shop about 1 1/2 years ago.

5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process
.
When I first opened my shop I wanted to make sure I had enough stock, and made things using patterns and templates, but now I focus on making more unique items that may not be found in other shops and draft my own patterns. For example, my Indian sari for Blythe dolls is my best-selling item, made with sari remnants found in Toronto's Little India neighbourhood. I believe in supporting local economy so I purchase most of my supplies from Toronto merchants. When I'm trying out something new, I've come to accept that trial and error is part of the creative process, and with some patience and perseverance, something wonderful will (eventually!) emerge.


6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Currently, I'm taking a printmaking class because I would like to expand my greeting card line, and I'm also planning on purchasing a button-making machine. Later this year I may open a second Etsy shop to separate my Blythe and non-Blythe items. I'm also hoping to participate in other craft shows in the summer.


You can find Karen's Creations at her Etsy shop www.kltrocks.etsy.com and on her blog www.librariankaren.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment