Thursday, April 16, 2009

Designer Profile - Pam McFadyen, Lurearts








Hand wheel thrown pottery by Pam McFadyen, Lure Arts



1.) What do you enjoy most about having an Etsy shop?
I love that I can reach such a wide audience all around the world and it feels like they are just next door. I also love being a part of the EtsyMudTeam. We have challenges and swaps scheduled year round. Potters are crazy people for the most part so the team is always a lot of fun.


2.) How did you come up with your shop name?

Good question. I am a Pisces so I wanted something watery (lure = fishing lure). Also, the colours I create are very watery like Midnight Sea and Waterlily. I would also like to think that my pottery lures you into my shop (ah ha ha ha).


3.) What is your inspiration as an artist/designer?

As a potter, I love making new forms. My hubby inspires new ideas because he is always requesting the impossible form and I am challenged to find a way to make it work. I am also inspired by the simplicity of Asian design and the complexity of Rococo embellishment. Aiming to create a balance between these two contrasting sensibilities keeps me creating new and interesting works.


4.) Can you tell us a bit about your background as an artist/designer/crafter?

I fell in love with pottery when I was in University and gradually worked up to having my own home studio so I could make stuff at all hours of the day (and night). I also teach art and am lucky to have a great pottery studio at the high school where I work. I have been selling on Etsy since 2006.

5.) Tell me a bit about your creative process.

Hmmm...It all depends on my mood. Most of the time I just sit down at my wheel and throw. Sometimes I feel like knocking off a dozen of the same form by weighing and measuring my clay. Other times I let the clay guide what form takes shape. I do sketch out new designs and ideas, especially for my hand-built ware. Most of my best ideas are drawn while I am at a coffee shop or stuck in an airplane.

6.) What are your plans for the rest of the year?
I have a few more local shows that I’d like to participate in. Then the whole summer is spent either in my studio making new work or sitting on the beach with a good book. I have a lot of new designs on hold, just waiting for the time to flesh them out. I also plan on experimenting with my glaze chemistry to add a few more colors to my shop.

Visit Pam on her blog Lurearts Ceramics or at her Etsy shop Lurearts

No comments:

Post a Comment